‘My silver fillings poisoned me so badly I thought I was having a stroke’

Author reveals how she was poisoned by her mercury-based fillings

Aletha Black

Aletha Black

A 44-year-old New York woman went years fearing she was suffering from an autoimmune disorder before she discovered it was the mercury in her silver fillings that was making her sick.

Doctors were at a loss when Alethea Black first started noticing a tickling in her leg and numbness in her left pinky in 2010 – and the symptoms only got worse over the next two years.

After reading an article on the dangers of silver fillings, the Dutchess County native had the cavity fillers removed and has been symptom-free ever since.

Black first noticed something was wrong while taking her dog for a walk in October 2010. She describes what felt like a spider crawling up her leg, but looked down and saw nothing.

‘I would look under my jeans and there would be no spider,’ she told Cosmopolitan magazine. ‘Then I would feel it again.’

She also noticed that her left pinky went numb, but she initially ignored the sensations.
Things got worse the following spring when the entire left side of her face went numb.

Black rushed to the Emergency Room, fearing that she was suffering a stroke, but doctors said she was fine and the numbness went away a few days later.

Without a diagnosis, the symptoms kept piling on. She developed gastritis, ringing in the ears, insomnia, a permanent red rash on her left leg, as well as more spider-crawling and numbness.

This was also around the time that Black was working on publishing a book, so many attributed her health issues to stress.

Mercury constitutes 50 per cent of silver fillings and can degrade and cause heavy metal poisoning over time - though they are still considered save by the American Dental Association

Mercury constitutes 50 per cent of silver fillings and can degrade and cause heavy metal poisoning over time – though they are still considered save by the American Dental Association

But when the left side of her face went numb for a second time, she returned to the ER where doctors yet again told her she was fine. They ran blood tests and ruled out a stroke since she was able to move her face.

Concerned Black took up looking for a diagnosis herself, exhausting medical resources on the internet to search for an answer.

‘The more I looked into it, the more I thought this was lupus, or the beginnings of M.S., or even ALS. I went through weeks of really believing this was the case,’ she says.

When she noticed that her rash would get worse while sitting next to a space heater, Black looked up whether autoimmune diseases flare up when exposed to electromagnetic radiation and found her answer.

Black came across an article that explained the dangers of silver fillings, which are made up of 50 per cent mercury – a toxin that is then released into the body.

Over time, the mercury can degrade and cause heavy metal poisoning. Black’s fillings were 30 years old.

Black never got that diagnosis from a doctor since silver fillings are regarded as safe by the American Dental Association, though many dentists have been outspoken about their dangers.

She realized that her space heater’s electromagnetic field could be triggering the mercury in her fillings and immediately sought out a dentist to have them removed.

Not many dentists perform the complicated process, so Black struggled at first but eventually found Dr Jeffrey Viglielmo in Kingston, New York.

Black was tested for mercury poisoning and discovered that she had three times the normal amount in her system, in addition to being one of 10 per cent allergic to the element.

Before the procedure, Black had to drink activated charcoal and then wear a protective barrier to stop the mercury going down her throat since it becomes 20 times more potent when extracted.

After having the fillings removed, Black noticed an immediate difference. The rash went away, her skin and hair went back to normal and she no longer noticed the spider-crawling or numbness.

‘It’s shocking how few people are aware [of the danger of silver fillings], how easy it is to remedy, and how dramatic the effects of removal were,’ Black says.

‘One thing that lingers so strongly, is how much an active advocate you need to be on behalf of your own health.’

Written by Ashley Collman for The Daily Mail, May 12, 2014.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www. law. cornell. edu/uscode/17/107. shtml