BEWARE of your House Plants

This is going to be a very difficult story to tell, but I feel compelled to share this information. This past week has been an extremely difficult journey for us. Our sweet baby Lily got into one of my houseplants and ended up fighting for her life at the emergency vet for nearly a week. She is now home with a feeding tube and a medication schedule that spans from 7 AM until 12 AM daily. There have been many tears shed, dollars spent, and guilt felt… all because of a $5 plant.

I’d like to spread the word about this houseplant because I had no idea when I purchased it from a big box garden center last summer that this little 6-inch plant would become my nightmare. The Sago Palm is a common house plant and landscaping plant native to tropical regions. All parts of the plants are extremely toxic to humans and animals causing liver failure and death from even minimal exposure. All parts includes the trunk, roots, leaves, and small berry-like seeds that can develop on mature plants. I have seen this plant for sale on the shelves at Walmart, Lowe’s, and Home Depot sitting among other harmless household plants with zero warning label attached.

***Update: On Saturday, May 16, Lily passed away in our arms. She fought hard, loved hard, and gave us a couple butt wiggles just before she just couldn’t fight any longer. We loved her so very much and gave her all the love and care in the weeks since the incident we could possibly give. We are truly devastated.

If you are a houseplant lover, please research your house plants prior to purchasing. Even if you think the house plant is in a secure location, mischievous little paws may still get into trouble.

Feel free to share this story. You may just save a life.

[NOTE: The above was submitted to me by a very dear friend. She was not the author. ~ Ed.]